Moles Win Battle of Walton Road

by David Morgan

Molesey 3-0 Horley Town

Molesey started the better of these two sides and were on the attack from the first whistle and scored within the first ten minutes of play.

Good work on the wing by Joe Pratley-Jones, his third game in a week, led to a cross that Paul Gough was able to score from the back post. Paul Goughs first goal for Molesey giving the Moles supporters something to cheer about very early on.

Molesey loked to continue the pressure and Arnold Tawonezvi was unfortunate to see two of his shots saved by a great double save from the opinionated Stewart Delvin in Horley Towns goal.

That was about it football wise in the first half as the match soon turned into a very physical battle that saw Rob Lewis, Moses Spencer, oe Pratley-Jones and Paul Gough booked before the half time whistle. It was the Moles fans that were happiest going into half-time though as they held a lead and were rarely looking threatened by the visitors.

The second half started in the same way the first ended with Lewis Ackerman getting booked. Although the early parts of the second half were the same physical slog as the first half the Moles found some discipline and no other players were booked for the rest of the half.

The Moles replaced Lewis Ackerman and Moses Spencer with Owen Bent and Ross Defoe at the hour mark as they tried to find a way to create one final chance to put the match to bed.

They were to make a good impact as just ten minutes later an Owen Bent header found Tawonezvi who, in turn, found James McShane making a late run into the box and McShanes half-volley was sweetly struck and left the Horley Town 'keeper grasping at thin air to double the Moles lead.

Just four minutes later an excellant and powerful run by Tawonezvi led to him being brought down in the box giving James McShane a chance to secure the match from the penalty spot. McShane duly swept home the penalty and gave Molesey the three points.

There was just enough time at the end to replace the hard working Tawonezvi with Gareth Witter, a tall and powerful product of the youth team. Witter almost scored with his first touch but he was to relaxed when taking the shot and gave the Horley 'keeper an easy save.

Molesey now travel to Chertsey next Saturday.