Steve Strike Stuns Sidley

by David Morgan

Molesey 2-4 Sidley Utd   

Scored : Bent 55' Brown 88'

Molesey looked to put their disappointing start to the new season behind them as they welcomed Sidley United from the Sussex league for the extra preliminary round of the worlds most famous cup competition, the FA Cup.

The game started very sloppily and was a midfield battle for the first half an hour only punctuated by one shot by Steve Brown which flew well over the goal, and a James McShane freekick which was deflected just wide.

Whilst the game opened up for the rest of the first half the only efforts on goal was a shot over from the impressive James McShane and an Owen Bent looping header which was easily caught by Gavin Bourne in the Sidley goal.

The second half started much brighter for the Moles and Steve Webb had clearly got the players going for the second half. After an early scare where a Sidley midfielder hit the bar from very long range, Molesey managed to take control.

Firstly, Mickey Hughes hit a drive from just outside the area which ended up in the goalkeepers arms before Molesey found the breakthrough.

In the 55th minute Moles goalkeeper Sheikh Ceesay gathered the ball from a long punt upfield from Sidley and hit a pin point accurate long ball up to Molesey winger James McShane. McShanes quality first time cross found Owen Bent running through the centre and he finished very well with a shot straight into the top right hand corner of the goal.

Molesey had two chances shortly following this both falling to skipper Steve Brown but neither of them troubled the 'keeper.

Sidley had a great chance to equalise when a shot from point blank range was bravely blocked by the head of Andy Graves.

The Moles were then hit by an equaliser in one of Sidleys few attacks into the Molesey half. Chris Honey showing great calmness to slot the ball underneath the on-rushing Shiekh Ceesay.

Molesey immediately made their three substitutions with Ollie Dicks, Matt Baxter and Phil Dexter coming on for Paul Jones, Danny Coombes and Luke Edghill.

six minutes after the substitutions Molesey had a great chance to stop the game going back to Sussex when Joe Yeates, up the field for a corner, managed to get a shot away in a crowded penalty area only to find a Sidley defender blocking the ball on the line.

Just when Molesey were thinking about the long trip they possibly faced captain Steve Brown strode forward and left his mark on the game and sent the Molesey fans into raptures. Another Molesey corner was swung into the danger zone and when the ball fell to Joe Yeates he had the presence of mind to lay it back to Steve Brown who stepped forward and struck the ball cleanly into the top left hand corner of the net in an early contender for goal of the season.

There was just time towards the end for Sidley goal scorer to get a straight red card after a tangle with Ollie Dicks and two corners which Molesey defended well despite the presence of the whole Sidley team, including the goalkeeper.

Molesey now have a trip to Andover in the next round of the cup.


1) Sheikh Ceesay 2) Andy Graves 3) Paul Jones (Ollie Dicks 80) 4) Joe Yeates 5) Moses Spencer 6) Steve Brown 7) Mickey Hughes 8) Danny Coombes (Phil Dexter 75) 9) Owen Bent 10) Luke Edghill (Matt Baxter 80) 11) James McShane