Moles Rescue a Point

by David Morgan

Horley Town 2-2 Molesey

Scored :Moses Spencer '80 ,Steve Brown '90+3(p)

Molesey made the trip to Horley for this weeks mid-week fixture still looking for a way to kick-start their season and start getting the results that all the fans are expecting them to get.

With both Matt Baxter and Owen Bent unavailable due to work, the Moles were forced to play Danny Roberts and midfielder Ross Defoe in a strikers role.

Molesey started the second half and unfortunately showed the football that has got the Moles into trouble so far this season. Backing off of the Horley attack and midfield invited pressure that Molesey just could not break through.

Molesey were given a warning about their oppositions intentions as early as the 5th minute when a dangerous cross was swung in to the Molesey penalty area and Moses Spencer just got enough on the ball to turn it wide.

The Moles didn't heed this warning though when on the 13th minute the Molesey midfield was far too deep and allowing the Horley defence far too much time on the ball. Although, with that said, I think almost everyone in the ground was surprised when Danny Guscott, the Horley Town captain and centre back delicately lobbed the ball into the Molesey net from 40 yards, leaving Colin Harris stranded just a foot or so off of his line.

Molesey were unable to get their first attempt at goal until the 28th minute when a dangerous cross swung in to the back post was met by Joe Yeates who somehow managed to head the ball wide when the goal was at his mercy.

Moleseys only other effort came in the last minute of the half when a Steve Brown shot took a heavy deflection and ended up just over the bar.

It was a half which was dominated by Horley Town as Molesey just could not get or keep possession due to the numerical superiority of the Horley midfield.

Molesey fans will have been hoping it would be all change for the second half, and the discontent among the fans could be heard when they saw that Molesey were sticking to the same tactics for the second half.

The half couldn't have started worse when in the 51st minute Moses brought down a Horley striker leading to the fourth penalty Molesey have conceded in the last three games. Horley full back, Chris Weller stepped up and confidently slid the ball past Colin Harris who had guessed to dive the wrong way.

This forced Molesey into a more attacking force and Sam Lampard forced the Horley 'keeper to make a smart stop with his legs not long after the penalty had been converted.

Molesey then chose to abandon the original and ineffective strike partnership of Ross Defoe and Danny Roberts and substituted them both for two much more natural looking strikers in Arnold Tawonezvi and Craig Prendergast and this immediately sparked a revival for the Moles.

A few minutes after the substitutions in the 80th minute Molesey found an unlikely breakthrough when Moses Spencer who had come up from the back managed to slide the ball into the net following good work from Sam Lampard. Moses managing to atone slightly for the penalty which he had given away much earlier in the half.

Molesey started getting desperate in their attempts to draw level and Moses forced the Horley goalkeeper into a great acrobatic save just a couple of minutes after his goal.

Steve Webb made his final roll of the dice in the 91st minute bringing on tall defender Rob Lewis to play up front for the little time that was remaining.

However, he wasn't needed when Horley defence became to rash in the 93rd minute and cynically hacked Arnold Tawonezvi in the penalty area allowing Molesey an easy chance to draw the scores level. Molesey captain Steve Brown stepped up and thumped the ball into the top corner to bring the Moles level.

Molesey frantically scrambled looking for a last minute winner to bring all three points back to Walton Road, but their only chance fell to Sam Lampard who had his shot excellantly blocked wide by the 'keeper when he looked odds on to score.

The Molesey fans were still quite vocal in their discontent when speaking together after the game, with the phrase "papering over the cracks" heard more than once.

The Moles have another break from their league campaign on Saturday when they play host to Hassocks in the FA Vase.