Cove Pile More Misery On Moles

by Andrew Finch

Cove 2-1 Molesey  

Having reached the semi-final of the Combined Counties Challenge Cup last season, Molesey succumbed to a disappointing first round defeat against Cove this time around.

Having dominated the first half the Moles will rue a whole raft of missed opportunities which should have seen the game dead and buried before a resurgent second half performance from the home side sealed their path into the second round.

Sam Lampard had the games opening chance, but shot just wide after good play down the Molesey left by Arnold Tawonezvi.

Next it was the turn of Tawonezvi to go close having been set up by a great piece of play by Rob Lewis, but the forward curled his shot over the bar.

Fine link up play between Lampard and Andy Graves presented an opportunity to Matt Baxter with half an hour played, however, last seasons top scorer, who has looked low on confidence this season, missed the target.

Cove’s Alex Jeffers linked up cleverly with David Johnston on 37 minutes but shot wastefully over, before the Moles finally got the goal their performance deserved, with Ross Defoe beating Chris Foster to a James McShane free kick to head into an empty net.

More good play by McShane nearly got the Moles their second within 60 seconds, but after playing in Baxter, who in turn set up Tawonezvi, he once again failed to trouble Foster.

It took the home side until the stroke of half-time to register their first effort on target, but Johnston’s weak free kick was easily kept out by Wester Young, despite the ball bouncing awkwardly in front of him.

Cove raised their game in the second half, and frustratingly for the Moles, they had no answer to the home sides new found determination, and the result appeared to be inevitable as soon as Alex Jeffers struck what turned out to be the winner midway through the half.

The huge kicks of Chris Foster had been causing the Moles back three a fair amount of consternation for much of the evening, and just four minutes after the re-start the ball was allowed to bounce just past the halfway line, and despite several opportunities to clear the Moles failed to do so, and ex Chertsey man Darren Dobinson made them pay with a crisp effort from just outside the box that went beyond the despairing dive of Young.

The alert McShane again demonstrated his keen eye for goal when Foster came charging out of his area and headed clear, only for the ball to land at the feet of the Molesey wing-back who sent it back goalwards and was unfortunate to see his effort sail a couple of feet over the bar.

Joe Yeates saw a free header from a corner well saved shortly afterwards, although the tide was turning and Dobbinson’s influence in his free role behind the front two was increasing as the game wore on, and Young denied him a second on 64 minutes with a terrific tip around the post when it looked as if the net was about to bulge, however, the Moles’ stay of execution did not last long, and after Nathan Woodbridge headed down a corner, Jeffers was on hand to head home from close range.


Tawonezvi was unfortunate to see a long-busting run from just inside the Cove half be stopped by a terrific challenge from Woodbridge just as he was about to pull the trigger, and although the Moles continued to huff and puff, and despite the probing of Graves and the tireless running of Tawonezvi, they fell to their sixth defeat of an increasingly desperate season. 


Line up:  Wester Young, Andy Graves, Ross Defoe (Steve Brown 72), Joe Yeates, Rob Lewis, Moses Spencer [C], Sam Lampard (Danny Roberts 61), Dan Coombes (Phil Dexter 72), Matt Baxter, Arnold Tawonezvi, James McShane  Subs (not used) Aime Blessing