Moles Smash Bookham For Six

by David Morgan

Bookham 0-6 Molesey

Molesey looked to capitalise on their recent win at Wembley this past Saturday when they travelled to Bookham to try to get their second win of the season and beat a Bookham side that was on the sam points as them and were only seperated by goal difference.

Molesey made one change to the team that beat Wembley with Phil Dexter coming in at the back for a missing Moses Spencer.

The Moles started the brighter of the two sides when after just 5 minutes the very busy Sam Lampard found James McShane in space, but McShanes shot was looped over the bar and out to safety. However it was this tandem that found the key to unlock the Bookham defence just three minutes later.

Andy Graves played a hopeful ball down the wing which looked destined to just roll harmlessly out of play until Sam Lampard made a chase for the ball and excellently beat a Bookham defender in the tackle on the goal line. Lampard looked up and played a ball across the box to an unmarked James McShane who had the time to bring the ball under control before firing a shot past the despairing 'keeper and give the Moles a one goal lead.

The next twenty minutes saw the play staying mostly in the midfield area although Molesey were dominating possession and territory advantages that eventually saw them increase their lead just after the half hour.

A free kick was swung in on the 32nd minute by Ross Defoe who saw the ball half cleared till it fell invitingly in front of Joe Yeates. he Molesey captain steadied himself before striking a well struck volley into the far corner of the goal leaving the Bookham 'keeper flailing at thin air.

The only other incident of note in the first half was a Matt Baxter hitting the cross bar from another James McShane corner.

At half time it was easy to hear that Bookham manager, Glynn Mandeville was not happy with his sides effort in the first half. Unfortunately for him his "robust" way of letting the players know that their performance wasn't good enough would only hinder his sides confidence in the second half. It seems it especially affected the confidence of their 'keeper, Cesare Cornelli.

Molesey carried on after half time as they had before it, and began with Joe Yeates hitting the bar after another inviting McShane corner was swung in.

However, it was one minute before the hour mark that Molesey made the game safe. An innocuous cross from Lewis Ackerman seemed to be going straight to Cornelli but the ball bounced awkwardly and bounced off of the 'keeper just enough to allow James McShane to get to the ball and slot it into the empty net for his second of the game.

This started an eight minute spell where Molesey were able to score three goals. The ext goal came three minutes after the last and an excellent James McShane through ball found Lewis Ackerman who was tripped in the area and allowed Matt Baxter to add his name to the scoresheet by sending the 'keeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Then five minutes after this Aaron Cole-Bolt found space wide and his well placed ball through to James McShane allowed the young midfielder to place a shot beyond the 'keeper to complete his hat-trick.

Matt Baxter completed Bookhams misery in the 80th minute when he managed to catch the whole Bookham defence sleeping and he charged into the box before turning Cornelli and finishing into the empty net.

This turned out to be the Molesey hitmans last goal for the club as he decided after the game to leave Molesey because of work commitments.

Molesey have a home game against North Greenford coming up this Tuesday which promises to test the new Molesey form as they are currently second in the table.