McShane's Late Show

by David Morgan

Epsom and Ewell 0-1 Molesey

Molesey made the trip to Banstead Athletics ground this past Saturday for their match against Epsom and Ewell with a lot of squad issues. Not only were the Moles missing their recent outbound transfers in Steve Brown and Matt Baxter, but they had to also contend with both central defenders being absent. Joe Yeates and Moses Spencer were replaced by Phil Dexter and Rob Lewis, Ross Defoe who had been impressive at left back recently was replaced by the fit again Luke Elliott. The final change was Lewis Ackerman being replaced by the return of creative striker Liam O'Leary.

So it was a very make shift squad that was asked to go out to Epsom and come away with a positive result.

The game started as a very scrappy affair with both sides focusing on defence as much as attack. The opening half an hour was punctuated by a top class Colin Harris save and two James McShane shots. The highlight though was a Sam Lampard header that was well tipped over by the Epsom and Ewell 'keeper.

The only other action of the first half was an unfortunate clash of heads involving Danny Coombes. Both players were forced to hospital with the injuries at half time. Danny Coombes was replaced by Mickey Hughes.

The match continued in the second half to be a mostly midfield battle with few chances for either side.

Molesey had a goal mouth scramble in the 68th minute that came to nothing despite the vehement protests from both fans and players that there was an obvious handball. However, the referee waved play on... It wasn't going to be the last time that fans from either team were screaming for penalties.

After Owen Bent put a header wide six minutes later Molesey made their first change with the recently returned Rodrigues replacing Owen Bent. But with just seven minutes remaining the fans were dubious to how much difference this late change could make.

Three minutes later in the 86th minute Molesey thought that all their efforts had been for nothing when Rob Lewis brought an Epsom and Ewell striker down awkwardly in the box resulting in the referee awarding a penalty to Epsom. However, not for the first time in the match Molesey were saved by Colin Harris who pulled off the last in his string of superb saves.

Just one minute later Liam O'Leary couldn't quite connect with Sam Lampard cross and the ball flew agonisingly wide.

Then Molesey in a last desperate charge forward managed to release Rodrigues in the penalty area, however he was taken out with a cynical sliding challenge which resulted in Molesey getting the chance to steal all three points deep into stoppage time.

In this situation a very cool head is required and James McShane stepped up and proved his coolness by sending the Epsom 'keeper the wrong way and allowing Molesey to steal all three points back to Walton Road.