Villains Punish Sloppy Moles

by Andrew Finch

Molesey 1-2 Hanworth Villa


The inconsistency that has plagued Molesey for much of 2009 shows no sign of abating, as two goals from Lee Higgs condemned the Moles to a dire 2-1 home defeat to lowly Hanworth Villa.

The result comes just a fortnight after deservedly beating current table toppers North Greenford United, and 8 of the 11 that started that game also started last night, with the three coming in more than capable deputies.

The Moles started the brighter, with debutant Elliott Thompson impressing on the right side of midfield, and had the games opening chance, with Aaron Cole-Bolt seeing a fierce free kick well saved by Terry Buss.

However the Moles were soon on the back foot, with Steve Loveridge cutting smartly inside Ross Defoe but firing just wide, before the same player went even closer with a dipping volley from the edge of the box that sailed just past Colin Harris’ far post.

Villa won virtually all of the 50/50’s and were first to loose balls, and in Lee Higgs and ex Mole Danny Lovett had a willing and hard working front two so it came as no surprise when they deservedly took the lead after 35 minutes when a Molesey attack broke down and Higgs scored from close range after being set up by Andrew Nettles.

Lewis Ackerman added to the Moles’ striker woes by going off injured at half-time to be replaced by Farid Ibrahim-Zadeh, and after Cole-Bolt wasted a decent chance when well-placed by attempting to take on one too many defenders shortly after the restart Higgs doubled Villa’s lead.

Another Molesey attack broke down and after Moses Spencer failed to deal with a bouncing ball Higgs pounced to send a great strike beyond the stranded Harris and send the Villains – who started the day in the bottom four – two goals up.

It took the Moles until the final 15 minutes to finally show some urgency, and they got themselves back in the game when a corner was played short to Mickey Hughes, who delivered a cross into the danger area.  Rob Lewis climbed above his marker and looped a header beyond Buss and into the back of the net for his second goal for the club.

Lewis had an easier chance to draw the Moles level five minutes later but headed over when unmarked at the far post, before Cole-Bolt had a deflected shot well saved after good work by Defoe.

Ibrahim-Zadeh also saw an effort kept out by Buss, before McShane ghosted through the opposition defence but the ball hit a bobble as he went to strike it and the ball ballooned up and over the bar.

Villa treated the final whistle as if they had won a second consecutive promotion, although few can argue that they deserved the three points.

With boss Steve Webb setting his side a target of 15 points from 7 games in October, the Moles find themselves three short with recent table toppers Chessington & Hook coming up on Saturday – the final game of the seven.  Having previously stated that results in October would go a long way to determining his future at the club, failure to achieve the target he set himself could see Webb on borrowed time.


Line up:  Colin Harris, Mickey Hughes, Ross Defoe, Rob Lewis, Moses Spencer [C], Dan Coombes, Elliott Thompson, Aaron Cole-Bolt, Owen Bent (Tony Furneaux 82), Lewis Ackerman (Farid Ibrahim-Zadeh 46), James McShane.  Subs (not used):  Billy Pamment, Sam Taylor