Moles Fight For Fourth Win In a Row

by David Morgan

Molesey 2-0 Egham Town

Molesey were visited by Egham Town and former player Wayne Noad this Saturday on a day when most of the other fixtures in the league were called off for the weather.

Molesey had found their form in the few matches previously and were on a nice run of three successive victories, two of which were won by a margin of four goals. Egham Towns captain returning to the club that he had become a fan hero at in the Ryman league was keen to put a stop to that run.

However, anyone late for the kick-off were soon punished for not being there when after a Sam Lampard shot flew narrowly wide, Molesey took an early lead as a ball down the wing found Sam Lampard whose cross found Arnold Tawonezvi's head and looped passed the 'keeper and into the top corner of the goal giving Molesey the lead.

It was a quick start to the match but the pace was quickly reduced as the weather started to get the better of the two teams and both sides resorted to long balls from the back which rarely found their target as they flew of the wet ground.

One ball which did get through was a long ball for James McShane whose fiercely driven shot was well tipped over by the Egham 'keeper. The same player got another chance just a few minutes later but hit his freekick straight off of the backside of Danny Coombes when it looked otherwise on target.

James Mcshane got free of his marker on the touchline and delivered an inviting ball into the middle but unfortunately the touch from Farid Ibrahim-Zadeh was just too light and it flew just wide of the goal.

McShane got another freekick in a good position just after the break but this time instead of the ball hitting Danny Coombes the shot was parried by the Egham 'keeper. However, he had only pushed back into the danger zone and Dan Lucas will feel he should have done better with the rebound at the back post.

However, chances for Molesey were becoming less and less as Egham fought there way into the game and slowly asserted themselves on the second half. This was typified by a wonderful double save from Wester Young who bravely blocked two shots at close range to keep Molesey one up.

James McShane was still working in a creative capacity though and when he found a yard of space in the box he delivered a great shot that seemed destined for the corner before the 'keeper got his fingertips to it and pushed it on to the post and back into open play. Dan Lucas, again, will feel he should have scored the follow up but went for too much power and the ball went well wide.

Lewis Ackerman replaced Ibrahim Farid Ibrahim-Zadeh who will feel he hadn't contributed quite as much as his very impressive earlier games and immediately had a chance when a cross from Tawonezvi was just a little bit too high for the last first choice striker from last season.

However, it didn't take long for Ackerman to impose himself on the game and he found space out wide before delivering a low ball into the centre that was finished at the back post by Tawonezvi for his second of the match.

Although Molesey had been on the backfoot for most of the second half the late goal for Tawonezvi sealed the points late on for Steve Webb's team and increased their winning run to four games. This run will be put under the test on Tuesday though when they are at home to Godalming Town in the Surrey Senior Cup. The next league game is away to Camberley on Saturday.

Line up:1. Young  2. Graves  3. Defoe  4. Yeates (c)  5. Lewis  6. Coombes  7. Lucas (15. Koboah)  8. Lampard  9. Tawonezvi  10. Ibrahim-Zahed (12. Ackerman)  11. McShane

Subs not used:  14. Bent  16. Pratley-Jones  17. Pemmant