10 Man Moles Frustrates Camberley

by David Morgan

Camberley Town 1-1 Molesey

Ronnie Green '62     Joe Yeates '15

Molesey were looking to immediately put the memory of their disappointing 3-0 defeat against Godalming in the cup to the back of their minds as they made their way to title contenders, Camberley Town.

The Molesey fans that braved the weather to make the game were greeted by a Camberley team with several notable players. Firstly, striker Hinga Amara who gave the Moles a lot of problems last season and ended as one of the leagues top scorers. Also the Molesey fans who were there in the Ryman league years will also have recognised former Mole, Russell Pym lining up for Camberley.

After the game started the first notable piece of action happened to be the first goal. I'll admit to having arrived late and missing the goal but it was a James McShane free kick that was fired into the box that ricocheted off of the crossbar and allowed defender Joe Yeates to nod the ball over the line to give the Moles the lead.

After that the game became very tense and saw very little action required of either 'keeper. The only notable efforts were two off target shots Andy Graves and Mickey Hughes that were followed up by an on target but tame effort from James McShane.

However, the big talking point of the half proved to be a late lunge by Andy Graves with just minutes till half time and the referee showed very little hesitation before reaching into his pocket and showing the red card.

Molesey had one last chance to get a two goal lead just before half time when Arnold Tawnozvi was sent through by James McShane. Tawnozvi's first touch let him down though and the ball went harmlessly to the 'keeper.

The second half started with Dan Lucas being brought on to replace the quiet Farid Ibrahim-Zadeh and to fill the hole at right back as Molesey looked to consolidate what they had. Dan Lucas had more trouble than he should have getting on the pitch though as the game was held up for several unnecessary minutes when Dan Lucas was forced off the pitch for having the wrong coloured under shorts on and then being waved back on without changing them.

The Moles were undone in the second half though on the hour mark when, after Moses Spencer saw a back post header go over, a smartly played corner to the edge of the box caught the Moles asleep and Ronnie Green was in the right place to power his shot past Wester Young in the Molesey goal.

However, just like the fist half the game became a more midfield battle with neither 'keeper having much work to do.

Owen Bent replaced the hobbling Lewis Ackerman who appeared to have picked up a knock and Molesey were heavily reliant on the counter-attack but were unable to create any real chances.

Molesey did craft one last chance in the final minute when a James McShane corner found the head of Joe Yeates but he couldn't quite direct his header down and the last chance for either side meant that the scores stayed level at the final whistle

Line up:1. Young  2. Graves  3. Elliott   4. Yeates (c)  5. Spencer   6. Hughes   7. Ibrahim-Zahed( 15.Lucas) 8. Lampard  9. Tawonezvi (17.Koboe)   10. Ackerman (14.Bent ) 11. McShane (14.Bent )

Subs not used:  12. Lewis   16. Defoe